Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works!

+16
sournote103
Zylo
BigBurkhart
turtleOracle
poizaz
Captain Combusken
Saint Game
truebug
cephalopodAscendant
Harvest Ty
gloomyMoron
CrimsonMage
LoganAura
Shailsnic
arcaneScribbler
Todd Ingram
20 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 4 Empty Re: Workshop Thread: For characters in the works!

Post by Harvest Ty Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Harvest Ty wrote:ChinaBlosque(or Chi)
Pile Driver Micro-Goomba(With a coon tail)

~S Grade Ardent 10% (Note Capsule)
+Loving

~B Grade Concord 40%
+Intuition
+Perception
-Depression
-Anxiety

~A Grade Relief 35%
+Sincerity
+Generosity
-Naivete

A grade Mend 15%
+Empathy
-Insecurity

Okay how's this for a background.

Chinablosque was born in a large family of Goombas in the Dry Dry Desery, Her father worked as a desert guard, using his abillity as a Micro Goomba to help combat Mario. Her mom was a racoon goomba who came from Goomba Village and fell in love with her dad. China was the firstborn child and was born mute. Her parents were struck, by the loss, but they still loved her.

On her 1st birthday, her father got her a small question block to protect their child, after noticing how China always cried in the heat. She loved it and has had it with her ever since(It's like a comfort blanket). A few years later she had gained two sibilings, twin boys. She grew quite attached to them and as they got older, she would often watch after them when mother was off at work. She also began to learn how to write with her tail, courtesy of her mom who helped run the front desk of the Dry Dry Inn which had been built recently.

China's dad eventually lost his job as Bowser's troop moral dropped and many people jumped ship, her dad included, saying he "wanted a better life." Unfortunately this caused a drop in the family income and things became harder for them; China helped her mom, who became the manager and had her daughter become a maid. China ofter worries and doubts whether she is doing any good with her job though. In fact she wonders if she is any help at all. She occasionally gets into a little funk, but usually recovers or hides it to stop her family from worrying.

Thoughts?
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 4 Empty Re: Workshop Thread: For characters in the works!

Post by Todd Ingram Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:34 pm

The personality and backstory are pretty satisfactory. It portrays her well as a sort of shy but untuitive little girl.

You may want to rehtink having the Ardent in a soul capsule. It focuses more on passion than love. Passion is more fiery and sometimes anger-ridden, while the 'love' I think you're looking for is better represented by the Mend you have. I'd either find something better to put in the capsule or allocate it into one of the other humors.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:39 pm

I might eithet remove it and increase mend to give her compassion as a trait to.

Or I could give her a little blob of Vision to read Focus, Creativity(In the sense that she uses her tail to help her about) and maybe Tunnel vison(With how she puts so much effort into things that she cares, but becomes absorbed in them. :'D

I thinking of mend though.
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Replacing the Ardent Capsule with Vision for the traits you described seems to work pretty well. If you still want that "loving" aspect, you could bump up Mend a notch, maybe take some off of Relief.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:49 pm

ChinaBlosque(or Chi)
Pile Driver Micro-Goomba(With a coon tail)

~A Grade Vision 20%
+Creativity
+Focus
-Tunnel vision

~S Grade Concord 30%
+Intuition
+Perception
-Depression
-Anxiety

~B Grade Relief 25%
+Sincerity
+Generosity
-Naivete

B grade Mend 25%
+Empathy
+Compassion
-Insecurity

How's this"
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Looks better to me! Everything looks like it applies itself well.

Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Whoo! I did it! :'D

...But now that I referenced so many characters...I'm going to have to make profiles for them all! (Yeesh it'll be like 5 Goombas when I'm done. I'll also need a Owner for the hotel...a few coworkers...Boy...I've made a project for myself!)
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 pm

CAN THERE BE PUNIS?
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by LoganAura Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:41 am

Heya, I'm currently working on a character. I don't know his species, but right now here's what I have:

He's a chubby character, and is often considered the life of the party where he goes. He's always happy and energetic, and is a big goofball making sure others are just as happy as he is. He's a comedian and makes fun of himself during his acts, proud of the way he is and shows it. He is a big party animal, but that often gets others annoyed at just how rowdy he can get.

Humors:
Sublime: Inspiration, Imagination, Individuality, Vanity
Relief: Sincerity, Inner Peace, Naivite, Forgetfulness
Shine: Optimism, Extroversion, Joy, Gullibility

I need to expound on him.

Edit: Right now I'm thinking either a Toad, since they're humanoid enough to make chubbier easily, a Shy Guy, or something else.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Sublime and Shine work well to make a comedian. I'd ask you to expound on how the relief fits in, does the sincerity make it so that he can make fun of himself?
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by LoganAura Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Yeah, and the inner peace both work well for someone confidant in themselves. He's sincere in his words and actions. It sort of works with the Vanity to make it a bit more of positive trait, though he does tend to indulge in it (And by it I mean fatty foods) to keep his appearence.

His Naivete and extroversion though sort of makes him one of those people who doesn't know how people can have fun alone.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by gloomyMoron Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:17 pm

I just want to point out that most comedians are actually not all that happy. Depression and being overly self-critical is a thing among comedians. Several really great comedians have killed themselves because of that. Most deal with it, and after awhile they're fine, but they're hardly "happy all the time".
gloomyMoron
gloomyMoron
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:28 pm

That being said, there are also natural comedians, whose entertainment is a byproduct of their own happiness. Not only does that fit the Sublime/Shine mix, it's the type more often found in the Mario universe.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by LoganAura Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:38 pm

I'm going more for what Todd's saying here.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Here comes a new guy!

Boondaid (Boo covered in guaze like a mummy)

40% B grade :shine:
+Joy
+Extroversion
-Gullibility
-Slight Insanity(SUGGGGGARRR)

40% grade A Relief
+Generosity
+Sincerity
-Naivety

10% C grade :vision:
+Creativity
-Overcomplication

10% S grade Turnaboot (Standard Capsule)
+Quirkyness

Boondaid loves sugar like way too much, as a kid his best friend, who was a Pokey, would always visit him at his home the Dry Dry ruins, and oftenbring sweet treats like pops or those little syrup candies. Boondaid went beserk for the stuff, and he always ate it, eventually he has gotten to the point where he seems to be in a perpetual sugar rush, always buzzing around with joy and vigor. As time went by and his pokey friend moved, Boondaid left the ruins. He found the sun AMAZING, even though it hurt a little. This is why he wears the worn gauze around himself(He wishes it could be rainboo color'd but he doesn't have enough coins).

Before he left his home he had developed a crazy dream of owning a Candy store, and still to this day plans to do so. He even likes making lollipops, which are his FAVORITE! Some of the flavors he made include, Mushroom Spaghetti flavor, Bland Meal Flavor, and Icey Flower Flavor. He insist they all taste good, but everyone doubts him. He usually carries a bag of these unique flavored pops with him in a small insulated bag he bought, and often insists on sharing them with others, in the thought that everyone could taste them(even though he doesn't realize they don't).

Currently he works as the receptionist for the Dry Dry Inn, the customers finding his nature usually humorous, but they don't stay near him for long.
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Combusken Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:56 pm

He's certainly got a cool and humorous obsession. I like it!

It would be nice to see evidence of his other Humors other than Shine though, because I think your biography of him is a little lacking in those details at the moment.
Captain Combusken
Captain Combusken
Junior Smith
Junior Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Well the Lollipops are where the Vision comes in(He makes really strange lollipop flavors way off from the basics and what people would like.

The Generosity kinda comes from how he always ends up giving away the pops(He also has a Misguided view that everyone will like them). I could reduce the Relief though a little bit(10%?) I guess and give 5% of it to vision and Turnaboot.

EDIT:Does anyone have any humor changing recommendations. I like how he is but I want to make him awesome!
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by LoganAura Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 pm

So I've thought up a bit more.

My character, the chubby comedian's sort of between a Shy guy and a Gourmet Guy in size, his color is a light blue. His name's Stocky and he works in a soda bar getting paid in room, board, and meals: Specifically soda and fattening foods. He's remarkably neat looking for a gluttonous character, and spends half of his night making sure the people at the bar are comfortable and happy. The other half is making jokes about being "On a roll.... You know, that actually sounds good right now- Barkeep!" and things like that.

No this didn't make me choose a shy guy :cuteshyla: (And I wish I could draw him 6_9)
LoganAura
LoganAura
Artisan Smith
Artisan Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:26 pm

He definately sounds like a fun character! I'm really intersted to see him in action. :'D
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:19 pm

EDIT: Added +/-

Well, this little guy was created in the Dice Character Thread, but I want to develop him into a full chara because I like him so much, so I'm sticking him here for feedback. The original form of this post was just a copy-paste from my Dice Chara Thread post plus me adding stuff and tweaking and blablabla, lol. If/once I get TrueBug's okay to use her amazing Recipe Card she drew for him, I'll add it here in a spoiler for neatness, but it's posted in the la-la-la-liiiivestream and paint-chatting thread if you want to go see it sooner. ^.^; For now you just get this cruddy, now-somewhat-inaccurate sketch I did:
Spoiler:

Name: Puuntail
Species: Tapoonki/Tapuunki (Puni + Tanooki, like the Tanoombas)
Mod(s): Tanooki/'Coon Tail/Super Leaf? I have no idea if these Mods are all different names for the same thing, and if so, which name to use...
Zodiac: :lovecard: Love (I might change this to something more fitting in the future/once all the 'canon' Zodiac Poems have been revealed)

Humor Recipe:

??% ? Grade Logos Logos Humor
+ Order
+ Memory

??% ? Grade Relief (Split-Mix: ? Grade Flow Flow Humor + ? Grade Mend Mend Humor ) ((Hey, do the Grades of split-mix components affect the split-mix created?))
+ Generosity
+ Sincerity
- Naivete?
- Inacessibility (still not quite sure what this one means)

??% ? Grade Shine
+ Optimism
- Gullibility?

...I have this vague idea in my head of this wandering little shapeshifter Tanooki-Puni who's a master of disguise of sorts and really really good at remembering how anyone he sees looks like and then mixing together little details of groups of people's appearances to get his own custom disguises. He's a bit of an optimist/do-gooder and likes to play harmless 'pranks' that are pretty much pranks in name only- they're really just little favors and things, like hiding coins in someone's garden or something.

Also he's either very shy or tends to panic if people catch him looking like himself or realize he's the one doing the not-pranks...?
TL;DR: AAAAH THEY'RE LOOKING AT ME NOW, NOT JUST SOME TRAVELLING STRANGER, WHAT DO I DO?!

Here's Puuntail summed up in one sentence (the gist of which I remember from last night's amazing Livestream, lol) : He is that person who will break into your house (without actually breaking anything, mind) in the middle of the night while you're asleep, tidy up a bit, leave a few Coins or some sort of nice little treat/gift on the kitchen counter, and leave.

With no recognition or recompense.

In fact, recognition makes him 'uncomfortable-is-a-HUGE-understatement'.

I really love this whole concept for some reason. (Do I make my characters too nice? x.x; )

...Does that make him a, what's it called, 'shrinking violet'? I really need to go on TV Tropes and actually look that one up some time...

Anyway, here he is, going off to go look at the +/-s for the Humors he's got since I don't know them off hand (unless someone else could help me with that? For all I know by the time I finish looking there'll be replies to this with suggestions, lol). I really wish the Wiki had a masterlist page for the humors with their names and the +/-s in a nice handy list/chart for quick browsing...

...Yes he is probably going to somehow be related to Punelipi. Also my headcanon is that he hatched from a Mystic Egg (maybe one a Super Leaf landed on...? Would that be a logical explanation for how in heck a TANOOKI/TANOOMBA-PUNI CROSSBREED came into existence...).

Last edited by arcaneScribbler on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by poizaz Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:28 pm

I had an idea for a boo photographer. He's shy, hiding in walls to sneakily get the perfect picture. Also, he has a ghostly antique camera which he brought to the grave and he somehow has it's ghost.
poizaz
poizaz
Junior Smith
Junior Smith

http://mspaforums.com/member.php?1094615-poiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:33 pm

You could make him an honest Robin hood-esque type hero with Relief. Traits like Generosity Sincerity and Inner Peace would do good. He could be maybe little naieve or Hard to talk to/inaccesability

Shine may give him jolly character, but if you went with naievity, gullibility would go good with it.

Logos could maybe give him deduction and Memory seen in his desguises, and maybe he could have an obsession with being a silent theif when undercover so when he is exposed, he panics.

That's all I have from the top of my head...

I decided to bring Toadellia into an actuall character, so umm...could some Copy/Paste her here for me so I could get some advice?

http://colorslive.com/details/990111

EDIT: I FIXED THE LINK

Last edited by Harvest Ty on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvest Ty Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:35 pm

poizaz wrote:I had an idea for a boo photographer. He's shy, hiding in walls to sneakily get the perfect picture. Also, he has a ghostly antique camera which he brought to the grave and he somehow has it's ghost.

Well visions a good start with maybe Creativity as a boon and introversion as a negative(Him prefering to be alone).

What else do you want about him?
Harvest Ty
Harvest Ty
Schism Rustler
Schism Rustler

Back to top Go down

Post by Todd Ingram Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:19 pm

If he's shy, he might have Concord or Mend, which carry the traits of Anxiety/Insecurity, respectively.
Todd Ingram
Todd Ingram
Master Smith
Master Smith

Back to top Go down

Post by arcaneScribbler Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Harvest Ty wrote:You could make him an honest Robin hood-esque type hero with Relief. Traits like Generosity Sincerity and Inner Peace would do good. He could be maybe little naieve or Hard to talk to/inaccesability

Shine may give him jolly character, but if you went with naievity, gullibility would go good with it.

Logos could maybe give him deduction and Memory seen in his disguises, and maybe he could have an obsession with being a silent theif when undercover so when he is exposed, he panics.

That's all I have from the top of my head...

@Harvest: Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, he's sort of like Robin Hood... Except sneaking into people's houses is just an example of what he does. Like the mischievous tanuki/kitsune/etc. of Japanese myth (or pixies and fairies, etc., of European myth, for that matter, which is probably where I subconsciously got the whole "doesn't like being seen" thing from), he wanders around playing little 'tricks'/'pranks' on people, except he never does anything at all malicious EVER. The coins he gives he gets via honest means, be they doing odd jobs or fighting 'wild' characters like Mario & Party does in the Paper Mario games.

I think I might get rid of the Shine and swap it for a different Humor, it doesn't fit what I want his personality to be very well. Especially since Shine is the Humor of EXTROVERTS, and this little shapeshifter is pretty much incapable of functioning coherently when not taking shelter in anonymity.

I really, really do NOT want to give him Obsession, actually. ^.^; His panic attacks are supposed to be a result of extreme shyness, not 'pride in being a thief'. And he panics when he is recognized/seen-as-himself in ANY situation, not just when he's 'actually' sneaking around... He's ALWAYS 'undercover' except when he gets really startled, hit (would that make sense? Like how Tanoombas are, sort of?), or is tired (I figure keeping up the illusion of a customized, unique appearance for an extended period of time must be pretty taxing both mentally and physically, plus he could come up with his next 'disguise' while resting). When he gets too tired to keep up his illusions, he finds somewhere to hide and rest. Same thing for sleeping.

Especially since even the littlest bit of social interaction (like going to a shop) is done when he's disguised as someone else... He's just THAT shy. Only when he's 'wearing a mask' is he brave enough to even TALK to people... Except maybe family members, and that's likely more because said individuals are extremely persistent and won't let him run away than anything else... (*cough* one of Punelipi's major 'negative' traits is STUBBORNNESS *cough*)

Todd I. wrote:If he's shy, he might have Concord or Mend, which carry the traits of Anxiety/Insecurity, respectively.

@Todd: Lol, ninja'd while trying to finish this monster of a post. Thanks for your feedback, too~.

Mend is already indirectly in his recipe via the Relief split-mix ( Flow Humor + Mend Humor )... Wait, is it possible for a split-mix to grant the traits of its components...?

As for Concord... (Concord synopsis in the spoiler)
Spoiler:
Purely trait-wise, I guess it could give + Perception and/or Intuition, and - Anxiety, but looking back at its description in the Wiki, it doesn't really seem to be a good fit. "Creativity in mediation" requires someone to be a meddler Kanaya person who is comfortable with interacting with others in the first place, I think. ^.^; It was a good thought, though!

Anyway, so far I've got:

Workshop Thread: For characters in the works! - Page 4 Puuntail-DrawnbyTrueBug
Spoiler:
Name: Puuntail
Species: Papuunki (Puni + Tanooki; Base Template = Puni)
Mod(s): Super Leaf
Zodiac: Love
:lovecard:

Humor Recipe:

??% ? Grade Logos Logos Humor
+ Order
+ Memory
+ Deduction?

??% ? Grade Relief (Split-Mix: Flow Flow Humor + Mend Mend Humor )
+ Generosity
+ Sincerity
- Naivete?
- Inacessibility (still not quite sure what this one means)

??% ? Grade Shine Shine Humor <= Think I might swap this with something else?
+ Optimism
- Gullibility?

...Are there ANY known Humors/split-mixes so far that give shyness...?

Last edited by arcaneScribbler on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : whoops, almost forgot the picture~. Drawn by TrueBug!)
arcaneScribbler
arcaneScribbler
5-Star Anvilman
5-Star Anvilman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next